The Firefighter Workout installment this week is the Side Semi. The Side Semi is another great addition to any firefighter workout and will help develop leg drive, hip recruitment, and core activation. These are the same key structural components required to perform many firefighter related tasks such as hose deployment and forcible entry.
- Keep your back straight, arms locked, and shoulders packed throughout the movement.
- Utilize leg drive and hip recruitment to generate power.
- Maintain core activation throughout the movement.
- Exhale as you translate force.
- Breakdown in structural integrity as fatigue sets in.
- Use of arms to move the weight.
- Excessive rotation or forward pitch at the waist.
- Breathing is not coordinated with the movement.